He hasn't played particularly well, but it's hard to get discouraged at AFL numbers. Keith Law fell into that trap last year when Joc Pederson hit .096/.161/.154 in 56 plate appearances. Law has since did a reversal on Pederson.
Here's a brief update on all the Dodger prospects who have participated in the AFL. They're playing for the Glendale Desert Dogs.
Brian Cavazos-Galvez, OF
.250/.300/.389, 1 HR, 2 2B, 4 RBI, 3 BB, 7 K
- Not a bad showing thus far, but Cavzos-Galvez is 26, so he's a bit older than most of the competition in the league.
Chris O'Brien, C
.100/.296/.200, 2 2B, 3 RBI, 6 BB, 5 K
- O'Brien is having a rough go of it, though, the six walks are nice. However, he's been tweeting quite a bit about his AFL time -- especially about Twins' super prospect Byron Buxton.
Pratt Maynard, C
2-for-8 (.250/.455/.625), 1 HR, 3 RBI, 3 BB, 0 K
- Not a ton of data on Maynard, but 2014 will be a telling season for the former third-round pick.
Corey Seager, SS
.162/.262/.243, 3 2B, 4 RBI, 5 BB, 12 K
- Not Pederson-esque, but not especially great, either, considering how much he struggled with his late-season promotion to Rancho Cucamonga.
4 1/3 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 6 K
- The converted third baseman has thrown well so far in Arizona. Many thought he would be the second coming of Kenley Jansen. Those people would be wrong. Baez is no longer on the Desert Dogs' roster.
- Yet to pitch, but he just replaced Baez on the roster. Could use a little seasoning.
6 2/3 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 5 K
- Garcia has been the best performer of any Dodger prospect in Arizona so far. While his fastball is no better than a 55 pitch, his slider will determine how long his Major League career will be.
8 IP, 7 H, 7 R, 7 ER, 12 BB, 6 K
- Oof, 12 walks in eight innings isn't going to get it done. His future lies in the bullpen. He'll need to get his command and control down if he wants to ever crack a big league bullpen.
5 2/3, 7 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 3 BB, 7 K
- Thomas is an under-the-radar prospect who could be a left-handed specialist in the majors one day. He had a rough start in Arizona, but has managed to turn it around a bit.
Photo credit: Dustin Nosler, Feelin' Kinda Blue